Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Have we got any comics writers in the building?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member PROX's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    If anybody is into making their own stuff (amateurish, weird, whatever). If you've got a web site or want to e-mail, please let me know 'cause I'm working on my own comic (ever so slowly) and I just would like to hear some ideas or advice from someone else who's into that to.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Anaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    86
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Ohh, I am I am!! Working slowly on several comics of my own. I don't know if I'll ever finish anything but I hope to. What do you want to discuss? I like pens for my stuff(Micron .01 and .005 mostly) and I draw to size(on a srandard sheet of paper).
    I've got one comic thats sorta real-life done screwy with conspiracy theorys, werewolves and magical curses.
    One that's post-apocolipse survivers(done all in a silent movie style with no word bubbles and no captions, only pictures)
    one thats a satire on every space movie or show you ever saw.
    and a bunch of random short and one-panel 'gag' comics, sorta Bizzaroesq...
    what are you doing? and how would one go about getting thier comic published online? I've got a pretty good backlog of at least one of the above... ?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member GaMookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2002
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    You can see some of my work at
    http://www.stickleyandjones.com

    I am very interested in developing a fairly involved collection of online comics reviews and links, and then adding them to the site as a resource of some sort.

    Anyone who wants to email me concerning this may do so through the stickleyandjones web site.

    I may even post some pictures of Terry and Robin from the San Diego Con, if they'll allow me.

    -RT

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Anaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    86
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah! I will bookmark your page man. How many hits do you get? And what kind of scanning prog do you use? Or do you draw it in a graphics prog?
    Both my loves are techie/computer/programer-type people so I'm trying to get what I've got on a webpage... when I get it launched would you think about putting a link to it from yours? I'll email you some samples, is .jpg alrite?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member GaMookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2002
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Right now, the site is only in its preview stage, so we only get a few hundred hits.

    All comics are drawn in Adobe Illustrator using a mouse (ouch!). The pictures are taken with a Kodak DC215 Digital camera and adapted using Photoshop.

    We have a MicroTek E3 Scanmaker machine that we use to create line art, will be converted to vector graphics using Adobe Streamline and then altered in Illustrator. For Christmas we want a drawpad.

    One of our plans include an extensive list of online comics.

    Send all jpegs and mail to

    [email protected]

    Thanks for your interest!

    -RT

  6. #6
    Inactive Member ShadeFell's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 1999
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    i do single panel and four panel comic strips. that's it. i used to do actual comic books, photocopy them, and sell them to my friends, but i've lost that youthful energy i once had.

    nothing on line. need a scanner. and motivation. WHAT IS MY MOTIVATION?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member TwigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    If you're into screentoning (like for Japanese Manga) but can't afford the 6$ a sheet or live in towns without decent art supply stores for 100+ miles around I'd suggest a book called... "Background Patterns, Textures and Tints" by Clarence P. Hornung (about 11 bucks through barnesandnoble.com). Just scan the pages in, and use the clone stamp (in Adobe P-shop, I don't know if it's in Illustrator) to copy the tones onto your image. Very nice, very handy.

    I'd also suggest buying a Wacom Graphire. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but I really prefer coloring with mine over using the mouse. The difference in my blood pressure alone (not getting annoyed at the lack of precision in the rollerball) is amazing.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Anaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    86
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I'm not terribly technical, but I know my bf has Adobe and has been dying to teach it to me... sigh. But I prefer to hand draw my stuff, I get plenty of frustration from that alone. Sure a paper drawing can get wet or crumpled or torn, but it dosen't disapper when the power surges.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Ersby's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    557
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Talking

    Oooh, self-promotion time. My favourite. My site of various gubbins is at www.ersby.fsnet.co.uk and is expecting an update as soon as I can be bothered to visit my friend who has a scanner.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Anaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    86
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What I like to do for shading(this is with ink, pencils don't scan or copy reliably) is cross-hatching or scribles with pens of various widths. I'll use .01 to draw outine and major details, then .005 for lightspots, shine, and reflection, and hair, then get .03 for shadows, and things I want to look 'heavy', like rocks, deep water, or sharp-edged like machines, then .05 and .08, for heavy shadows and the border. I also use a chisle-tip black marker to fill in black area's, I like to balence light and dark areas. And a white gel ballpoint for corrections, stars, and sharp highlights.
    Needless to say I draw everything to size... and it takes me forever. But it'sa verrry nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •